Wood floors are beautiful, but they require care to keep them clean and gleaming. Store bought wood floor cleaners contain a combination of toxic chemicals. Our green wood floor cleaners provide you with recipes for keeping your floors clean without poisoning your health or the planet. Check out our other homemade green cleaning recipes for furniture polish and more.
Quick Facts: Health Hazards of Common Wood Floor Cleaners
- Sodium hydroxide (lye): Lung edemas and irritation of the intestines, skin, and eyes all come from exposure to sodium hydroxide.
- Disodium ethanoldiglycinate: Irritant to eyes, nose, and throat.
- Dimethyloxazolidine: Harmful through inhalation, skin contact, and if swallowed; eye, nose, and throat irritant.
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone: Irritating to skin and mucous membranes-causing redness and itching; skin contact can cause burns.
DIY Green Cleaning Recipes for Wood Floor Cleaner
- Vinegar and oil wood floor cleaner: To both clean and polish wood floors, combine equal parts white vinegar and vegetable or mineral oil. Rub into wood with a soft cloth.
- Vinegar wood floor cleaner: Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into a bucket of hot water. Dip mop into cleaner and wring out so that it is damp, not dripping, and mop floors. Add 1/4 cup liquid castile soap for additional cleaning power, or substitute lemon juice for vinegar for a citrus scent.
- Washing soda wood floor cleaner: Dissolve 1 tablespoon washing soda crystals into a bucket of hot water and damp mop your floors.
- Borax wood floor cleaner: Pour 1/4 cup borax into a gallon of hot water. You can damp mop with this mixture without having to rinse.
- Lemon and olive oil wood floor cleaner: Pour 1/2 cup lemon juice, 3/4 cup olive oil, and 1 gallon of hot water in a bucket. Apply to your floors with a damp mop.
Dig Deeper: Chemicals in Typical Wood Floor Cleaners
- Dimethyloxazolidine: Environmental Protection Agency.
- Disodium ethanoldiglycinat: Menard’s Material Hazards Data Sheet.
- Sodium hydroxide: University of Maryland Medical Center.
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone: EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database.
Image via m.gifford