What is Project Love?
Hearts and youchange have been working together to reinforce the importance of e-waste recycling. Together we have developed an easy and empowering way for our community to be proactive.
Through Project Love, Hearts’ customers recycle unused and unwanted electronics like smart phones, without adding to the existing 300-400 million electronic items or 30 million tons of boxes going to landfills per year.
The best part about it is that you can use the Hearts shipper box to start the process!
See our easy steps below:
- Request a free shipping label by going to www.youchange.com/projectlove and clicking the green “Donate Now” button.
- After filling the repurposed Hearts shipper box with laptops, tablets, game consoles, GPS devices, mp3 players, e-readers, or digital cameras, simply paste on the label and put the box in the mail.
- The box and electronics are then on their way to youchange to be resold, recycled, or upcycled.
- Once with youchange, all personal data is removed from electronics and then handled in one of three ways: through refurbishment, upcycling, or responsible recycling.
- Unused electronics, include unwanted iPhone 4s, are then resold by youchange, which generates funds that are directed toward our iHeart Change partner program which supports world causes; environmental sustainability, quality of life, freedom, human rights, education, or cultural awareness.
- If refurbishment is not an option, the electronics will either be responsibly upcycled into future Hearts fashion-forward accessories or recycled properly in an appropriate facility.
What happens to my electronic(s) once I send them?
Once youchange receives your electronic(s) we will remove all of your information in accordance with Arizona State Standards. Then we will process your items, if they are in good condition we will resell them and give a portion of the profit to the cause of your choice. If your items are in poor condition or they have no secondary market value we will responsibly recycle or even upcycle them.
What organizations does Project Love donate to? Do I get to select the one I want my donation to go to?
Project Love is another way to give back to our iHeart Change Partners! Of course you get to choose the organization closest to your heart! Learn more about each organizations mission below!
Learn more about iHeart Change.
How much money will the charity of my choice earn from my electronics?
Prices for individual items fluctuate based on a real time database, and condition of items. The newer and better items are generally worth more than less desirable items. Of course an old blackberry has very little value but your last generation IPhone can be worth hundred of dollars. Charities will receive a portion of the profit for the resell-able item you send.
Will it cost me anything to ship my electronics to youchange?
No, youchange will generate a prepaid shipping label from the postal service for you to use to send us your electronics.
What will happen to all of my personal information on my electronics?
When any personal device is received we erase all information from the device by a team of technical specialists. Any hard drives received are wiped clean to Arizona established standards.
What items do you accept?
The items that we accept are Cell Phones, Smart Phones, Digital Camcorders, Digital Cameras, E-readers, GPS systems, Laptops, Media Players like ipods, Tablets and Video Game Consoles both handheld and full-size.
Do you want/will you accept chargers, cables etc.?
If they belong to the items you are sending absolutely!
What if I have an item that is too large or not listed as an acceptable item?
Because of shipping costs associated with the return of items we ask you only send us smaller “handheld” items. If you have larger electronics check out Earth 911 as they maintain a directory of recycling locations all across the US that can help.
What if my item is too large for the box?
If you have an acceptable item and it doesn’t fit in your box you can use any box you have available to you to submit your items.
What if I only have a few items and there is lots of room left in my box?
If you can ship those in a smaller box that would be appreciated – shipping costs can easily eat up a lot of the benefits to the causes. So shipping multiple items and using an appropriate box size is a huge help.
Is there a minimum number of items I can send in?
Not really, but we sure would hope you would send a minimum of three (3 items) – keep in mind shipping can really get expensive and can mean the difference between helping the charity and just covering costs. So if you only have one or two items – mind asking around to get a few more.
What if my hearts.com box is not in good condition?
If your hearts.com box is not in proper shipping condition feel free to find another box to ship your items in.